916 vs 999 gold title

916 vs 999 Gold: What You Need to Know Before You Buy

Gold has been valued by human beings for thousands of years. It's been used as currency, as a symbol of wealth and power, and as a means of adornment. But not all gold is the same. In fact, there are different grades of gold that vary in purity and composition. Two of the most commonly used grades are 916 and 999 gold. In this blog post, we'll explore the differences between these two grades of gold and what they mean for buyers and sellers.

Man melting Gold

What is Purity?

First, let's define what we mean by purity. Gold is a naturally occurring element, and like all elements, it is made up of atoms. The purity of gold is measured in terms of how many of those atoms are actually gold. For example, 24-karat gold is considered pure gold because it is 100% gold. However, pure gold is too soft to be used in jewelry or other applications, so it is often alloyed with other metals to give it strength and durability.

Women wearing gold jewellery potrait

916 Gold

916 gold, also known as 22-karat gold, is an alloy that is made up of 91.6% gold and 8.4% other metals, usually copper, silver, or a combination of both. This makes it harder and more durable than pure gold while still maintaining a high level of purity. 916 gold is commonly used in jewelry, especially in Asia and the Middle East, where it is highly valued for its deep, rich color.

999 Gold

999 gold, also known as 24-karat gold, is the purest form of gold available. It is 99.9% gold, with the remaining 0.1% consisting of trace amounts of other metals. Because it is so pure, 999 gold is extremely soft and malleable, which makes it unsuitable for most jewelry applications. Instead, it is often used in investment products like coins and bars.

Women considering her options

What to Consider When Choosing Between 916 and 999 Gold

So, what does this mean for buyers and sellers? Well, it depends on what you're looking for. If you're interested in buying jewelry, you'll want to consider the durability and color of the gold. 916 gold is a good choice if you want a high level of purity while still having a durable piece of jewelry. However, if you're looking for investment products, like coins or bars, you'll want to go with 999 gold, which has the highest level of purity.

Another factor to consider is the price. Because 999 gold is so pure, it is generally more expensive than 916 gold. This means that if you're looking to buy gold jewelry, you may be able to get a better deal on 916 gold than on 999 gold. However, if you're investing in gold, the purity of 999 gold may be worth the extra cost.


In conclusion, the difference between 916 and 999 gold comes down to purity and composition. 916 gold is an alloy made up of 91.6% gold and 8.4% other metals, while 999 gold is the purest form of gold available, with a purity of 99.9%. When choosing between these two grades of gold, consider the durability, color, and price of the gold, as well as your specific needs as a buyer or seller.

Back to blog